Gear Review - One Planet Goondie 2
The Goondie 2 has two doors and two vestibules, so there’s no need to play tent Twister. The comfortable, freestanding design is kept stable in nasty conditions by strong poles with a flexible hub, stash-away guy lines and good quality YKK zippers.
- Mesh Inner and 7D Fly – Lightweight and high-performance, this tent is designed for trips in warmer climates.
- Mesh Inner and 30D Fly – The mesh inner allows maximum ventilation, while the 30 denier polyester flysheet gives durability in the field. And it still doesn’t weigh much, especially when split between two bushwalkers.
- Nylon Inner and 7D Fly – The nylon inner gives added warmth and wind protection, extending the range of this lightweight, high-performance tent.
- Nylon Inner and 30D Fly – A sanctuary for two walkers. Suitable for four-season use, this model provides a warm, dry and comfortable home on the range.
|MODEL||WEIGHT (G) *||PACKAGED WEIGHT (G)||FLY MATERIAL||FLOOR MATERIAL|
|Goondie 2 MESH – 7D||1580||1705||7D Nylon Sil/PU||75D POLYESTER PU|
|Goondie 2 MESH – 30D||1845||1980||30D Polyester Sil/PU||75D POLYESTER PU|
|Goondie 2 NYLON – 7D||1890||2090||7D Nylon Sil/PU||100D POLYESTER PU|
|Goondie 2 NYLON – 30D||2155||2365||30D Polyester Sil/PU||100D POLYESTER PU|
|Goondie 2 TUB – 7D
(FAST AND LIGHT) #
|1235||1260||7D Nylon Sil/PU||70D POLYESTER PU|
|Goondie 2 TUB FOOTPRINT ^||310||325|
* WEIGHT: FLY, INNER, POLES, 4 PEGS, ALL GUY ROPES
# FAST AND LIGHT: FLY, POLES, TUB FOOTPRINT AND FOUR PEGS
^ POLES NOT INCLUDED
There are two choices of flies for tents. Both options are finished with silicone and polyurethane coatings and fully seam sealed in the factory.
7D: spiffy green flies made from ultralight, 7-denier nylon with 1200mm of Sil/PU coating. Ideally suited to three-season bushwalking for the weight conscious.
30D: made from a slightly heavier and more durable 30-denier polyester. with at 1500mm Sil/PU waterhead, these gorgeous orange numbers are not only easier to spot, they have higher UV resistance, making them better suited to four-season use.
There are also two inner options for most tents.
Nylon: the full, breathable nylon inner has DWR treatment for better insulation and protection from condensation. Suitable for year-round use.
Mesh: this inner is made mostly from mesh, allowing fantastic breathability and air flow. It is perfect for warmer, more humid conditions. (It is also a bit lighter than the nylon alternative.)
Floors and Tub Footprints
The floor used in our tent range is tough enough to stand up to life in the bush without needing a footprint underneath. Made from 75-denier, 5000 millimetre, PU-coated HT nylon, the bathtub construction is watertight, with high side walls to prevent splash back.
The optional Tub footprint is made from the same 70D Polyester PU, designed to be used with the fly for a light-and-fast setup.
All our poles are supplied by DAC, the industry leader. DAC Featherlite NSL poles are light, strong and reliable, made using a new environmentally friendly anodising process.
Our forged alloy pegs are made using the same method as rockclimbing hardware – perhaps a little overengineered? Despite their strength, they’re easy to push in. We supply 10 although they are free standing and can be pitched with 2. What else do you want?